My recent trip to Boracay was a real breather. It gave me lots of time to think about a lot of things.
1. Change – Change can be annoying or pleasant, depending on your perspective. I’ve learned that a lot has changed in me, in my attitude towards life, and also in the people around me. I was a little surprised by how my friends have changed.. I somehow felt that I didn’t know them anymore. It felt a little strange. I was trying to look for that feeling of closeness/familiarity/warmth. But somehow…I didn’t feel it. I am not so certain why…but maybe it was because we were more focused on exploring the island and enjoying the activities.
2. Open – I realized that I should welcome more “new” people in my life. When I left Gensan, I really felt the pain of being separated from the people I’ve lived and worked with for 6 years in my life. That’s why I decided not to get too attached to people. I was careful not to get so close. I didn’t want to welcome people into my life because I was afraid of getting hurt again when life would separate me from them. But I realized that I needed to nurture new friendships too. My old friends have moved on with their lives and I also need to enjoy relationships with new people. I should get over my fear of losing people I love and just be open.
3. Relax – I often feel guilty when I am taking a vacation. I’d often think about work and the problems in the office. But I learned that I also need a break. Especially because I’m not feeling engaged with my current project. I needed a refresher. I needed to fill up my inspiration tank so that I’ll have more energy to enjoy work.
4. Love – Boracay is an island of love. Everywhere I look, I see couples enjoying their private time together. Holding hands while walking on the white sand or even while sunbathing. I even witnessed a lovely beach wedding and a prenuptial pictorial. The sight of the happy couples reminded me of being in love and dating at the beach. Ah, love!
5. Gratitude – I’m so thankful for all the blessings that God has given me the past year. For my promotion, my investments, my family’s successes, and this beautiful vacation. I know God has more beautiful things in store for me. :)